Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Using Ubuntu

I must say I do like all the nice animations and flourishes that Ubuntu gives to all the windows. They seem to float, fade and snap to position a lot smoother than I've seen on Windows. I particularly like how they seem to stretch and flop into place when you maximise to full screen.

I've not had many problems either. Today I've been doing a lot of admin stuff setting myself up to start contracting in a couple of weeks: just the usual sstuff of writing letters, sending emails, copying files to my USB stick, editing images; and I've been fine.

Makes me think back to reading a comment on this Digg article, which said:
I'll use Open Office when it stops looking and running like Word 97

But he's being overly harsh. I've only used the word processor for a couple of letters and was quite pleased with the whole experience. It lets you write documents, checks spelling as you type, auto corrects typos, format text and the like: what more can you need?

How many features of Office do you actually use day-to-day? Do you really need to fork out 200+ quid to have those when you can do most things using free software?

Only thing I will say though, is that the title bar of windows I have maximised occasionally disappears when I hover over it. I'm not sure if this is a feature though, to stop you clicking the bar when you mean to click the menu along the top. But it's a minor annoyance at best, and I've enjoyed the experience so far.

No comments: