Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Douglas Coupland's jPod

I've been a huge fan of Douglas Coupland's books since reading Microserfs and Generation X when I was at college, right up to his new one The Gum Thief which I'm currently reading at the moment.

His book before that one was called jPod, which was billed as "Microserfs for the Google generation", which I enjoyed as much as any of his other books.

I was surprised to stumble across news a few months ago that jPod was being made into a TV series, and checked out the trailer to see what they'd done. And I must admit that I wasn't too impressed. Maybe it was just the usual feeling you have when you find out that someone else's interpretation of a piece isn't the same as your own, but in this case it was something more as well.

I've always found his work utterly engrossing, and I don't agree with some reviewers who say Coupland isn't a master of characterisation. For me, as a 20 something member of the IT rat race, I see his characters all around me (and I'm friends with some of them).

So it was with some disappointment that I finished watching the trailer, and I can't say that I was terribly bothered if it ever made it across the pond. I'd probably watch it if it did though.

But now I guess that's less likely to happen, as the news breaks that CBC has cancelled the show, and it will not be returning for a second season.

But already the fans have staged a protest, urging people to contact CBC to register their disgust.

Will this work? I doubt it, but there is precedent though: Futurama and Family Guy were both cancelled by Fox, only to reappear as straight to DVD after a backlash from fans. So maybe there is hope for the people wishing to see it return.

Me? I'm still waiting for the second season for Heroes to restart...

No comments: